Every percussionist needs to know how to play the snare drum. It’s usually the first instrument we learn how to play and the techniques that we need to know on the snare drum help us with many of the techniques we’ll need when play on all of the other percussion instruments.
In this series of lessons you’ll learn the basic rudiments like rolls and Paradiddles and you’ll learn some of my techniques for playing them as well as you can.
Whether you’re a beginner, intermediate or advanced player it’s advisable to always work on your snare drum basics. The techniques that you learn and practice on the snare drum will carry forward and help you play all of the instruments better.
- How to Play the Double Paradiddle
- How to Play a 5 Stroke Roll
- How to Play Swiss Triplets
- How to Play a Flam Accent
- How to Develop Finger Technique for Snare Drum
- How to Play Measured Rolls
- How to Play an Even Sounding Open Stroke Roll
- How to Play a Ruff on the Snare Drum
- How to Play a Four Stroke Ruff on the Snare Drum
- How to Play the Flam Tap
- How to Play a Flam
- How to Avoid Tension in Your Snare Drum Playing
- How to Play a Snare Drum Roll
- How to Play a Paradiddle
- How to Play an Open Stroke Snare Drum Roll
- How to Practice Snare Drum Rudiments without Getting Bored
If you’d like our full list of percussion lessons, see our Percussion Lessons Index page.